Sunday, July 26, 2015

Duck Creek Antique Mall

 Tom and I visited the Duck Creek Antique Mall yesterday (07/25) on Madison Road in Cincinnati. Tom tells me it's closing. Various vendors are moving their wares to other area antique malls. As it was nearing the end of its run, Tom wanted to make a last visit while he still could.



 It's really in a wonderful location and the huge building houses many vendors. I don't think they could have chosen a better venue.


 This is how the interior looks ... two long aisles on both sides of the rectangular building with various cut-throughs between the aisles. There are two floors, pretty much identical in space and layout. Some vendors in the basement have already cleared out (or were they never there?) so the lower level has less to see.


 Tom's checking out one of the locked display cases. Antiques cover the nineteenth and twentieth century.


 I think these antique pedal cars are something Dad would have been interested in. We still had metal pedal cars when I was a young child - I remember having one - but the metal bodies soon gave way to plastic. I suppose the modern versions ("Big Wheels", etc.) hold up better but they don't have the mystique of metal. They also don't rust and I suppose they're far safer.


 Here's a typical booth. There were few workers there as we walked through the mall (about an hour and a half) but I saw a number of items (mostly furniture) being sold while we were there. Most vendors are offering deep discounts.


 The item in the foreground - a Goebel 'Frair Tuck' individual "creamer" - is identical to one Mom owns and which we knew nothing about. Ours is used to hold Q-Tips and we keep it on the second floor bathroom vanity. This one sold for $30 ("firm"). I was surprised to see accessory items (background) also food-related (and $120 for the set, designed to hold cream and sugar). They were made in West Germany according to the tags. Now, at least, I know what the items were designed for.
 "Where did you buy this, Mom?" I asked her. "Oh, I think that was from Throckmorton's in West Carrollton," she said.
 "I always thought Dad bought that for you," I said.
 "Well, I used his money so I suppose he did," she laughed.

 Total purchases: Tom bought a frame for $5. I (as usual) bought nothing.



No comments:

Post a Comment