Thursday, February 16, 2017

Orange Olive Oil Cake

 Last weekend, Tom gave me the most recent copy of Kroger's "Private Selections" booklet ("Warming Winter Flavors"). Both of us were intrigued by this recipe.

As usual, I didn't quite follow the directions. I always opt for the easy way and it seldom - though not always - matters.




Orange Olive Oil Cake

1-1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon freshly-grated orange zest
1/2 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
1/2 cup olive oil
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

I combined the oil, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, salt, sugar, baking powder and orange zest.
Once thoroughly combined I added the flour.

Pour this into a 9" round (greased) cake pan and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes. Use a toothpick in the center to test for done (it should come out clean). The cake should be browned on top.


Kroger's suggests using Private Selection California Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I did use their olive oil but it was one I already had on hand. To cut the cost, I used a mixture of olive oil and vegetable oil.

They also suggested rubbing the orange zest and sugar together with your fingers before adding it to the mix. I didn't bother.

Here's how the mixture looked before I added the flour ...


 And here's the cake just out of the oven ...


 This would be great served with ice cream, as Kroger's suggests, but we plan on adding only a dollop of whipped cream instead. A simple icing, made with powdered sugar, milk and vanilla would be wonderful drizzled lightly across the top, too.

 In any case, this is a light dessert, easy to make and the taste is absolutely wonderful.





No comments:

Post a Comment