Monday, July 9, 2018

Sun Worshipers

 Sunflowers! I plant them most years and I am never sorry to see their huge yellow heads staring back at me from the garden. This year Tom and I bought two varieties. One is the "Giant Sunflower", huge things that already have passed eight feet and have not yet begun to bloom. The others are a common sunflower, already mature and blooming.


 When they are younger they exhibit heliotropism: they track the sun. During the day the giant heads follow the sun from east to west. By morning they have returned to the east. As they age, I suppose they exhibit something of human nature: they become too stiff to move. Ours are now entering that phase.


 Look at the mathematical precision of the future seeds. The exquisite whorls exhibit Fibonacci numbers causing the spiral pattern. These are Fractal patterns, the same as seen in fern leaves.


 Attracted early to the massive flower heads, we've watched butterflies and bees enjoy the early nectar there. I innocently planted two packages of seeds and two months later dinner is served. We stand beneath stalked miracles.


 Really, how high are they? I am 6'2" ... or I was before I began shrinking. Surely the giants already tower over me by two feet, maybe more. Notice that none of the "giants" have begun to bloom.


 As I watered the garden this evening, I enjoyed the shade these plants already afford. This fall the birds will take their treats here and Tom and I will enjoy the show. We planted these for their beauty. Their food is given back to nature as repayment.

The only risk is their height. Already four have been felled by a sudden storm. They break with a gust of wind. Or, after a day's rain, when the ground is soft, their surface roots cannot carry the weight and they are toppled by the wind. But that risk is not enough to stop planting them.

What better fun can come from a two dollar pack of seeds than sunflowers? Those small seeds contain such power. It is enough to stand back and watch this slow golden explosion. It's a wonder we're not knocked over by their beauty.





No comments:

Post a Comment