Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Pecan Loaf

  Mom used to make something similar to this. It was mostly rice and pecans and, like this recipe, was a vegetarian stand-in for meatloaf. This isn't it; but it's close.


 Mom got her original recipe from Kettering Medical Center and I absolutely loved it. If we still have the recipe - and I assume we do - I can't find it. So that led me to an Internet search for something similar.

 Food.com has a "Pecan Loaf" which will work in a pinch. If I remember correctly, this  recipe uses fewer pecans. And I don't think Mom's recipe used oats at all (and probably not a bell pepper). Here is the recipe I used.


 I didn't have "quick" oats but I had a large container of regular ones and I made sure the resultant "paste" was wet enough to cook the oats while the loaf baked. In fact after I cooked the rice I used most of the leftover water in this recipe. I also used more rice than the 1.5 cups that was called for. And I used regular white rice, too.

 The recipe fills a regular loaf pan quite nicely. I greased the pan before spooning in the paste. It does not appear that it would have stuck anyway.

 This meatloaf substitute is certainly delicious. I miss the original recipe, though.




No comments:

Post a Comment