Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Old-Fashioned (Soft) Gingerbread

  I have another gingerbread recipe posted on the blog (use the search tool above and to the left) but I thought I'd try an old Mennonite recipe (1950). I've modified it slightly.


 This recipe makes a fairly liquid batter but it bakes perfectly in  40 minutes.

Old-Fashioned Gingerbread

1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup light molasses
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup boiling water


 I didn't follow the directions and it works fine doing this: Melt the margarine in a microwave and add everything except the flour. This liquid is then easily mixed with a spoon. Then add the flour last.

 The recipe calls for 35 to 40 minutes baking time at 350° but I found the full 40 minutes necessary. The batter rises beautifully. I like the cracked top. I used an 8x8" square glass pan which I greased lightly.

 Just let it cool a bit before cutting. It  can be served warm. I'll add a nice spoonful of whipped cream to the top. And strong, black coffee is almost a necessity.

 It is a deep flavor and came out darker than my usual gingerbread owing to the brown sugar instead of the called-for granulated sugar. We each had a slice last evening and it is a wonderful dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment