Thursday, September 8, 2022

The General

  Just over 59 years ago at age 14 I stood in Miamisburg's Library Park waiting for a train. It wasn't one of the modern locomotives but one built in 1855 and one which gained Civil War fame.

 So on Tuesday, July 30 I waited there and at 9:03 AM I lifted my cheap camera and took a picture as it puffed slowly by.


 Color film wasn't inexpensive in those days (nor processing) and I certainly didn't have any. At the time I thought the picture was pretty good for a young teen. Now I see it as nothing special. And yet, just the other day, I was wondering  what had happened to that picture, Late yesterday I picked up one of my grandfather's Tom Swift books and there it was in an envelope inside the back cover. And inside the  front cover was a rose from my Aunt Belle's funeral (she died the year before).

 Dayton's morning newspaper, the Journal Herald, had a story about the train and I cut it our and placed it in the envelope with the photo. Here it is (click to enlarge):



 Today The  General is in the Southern Museum of Civil War and Museum.

 More information on the locomotive can be found here.






No comments:

Post a Comment