Monday, March 20, 2023

Enjoying a Clear Night

 Last evening (03/19/23) the sky was perfectly clear and that's rare for a winter sky in this Miami Valley. It was, of course, the last day or winter so maybe  the advent of spring was having  an influence. I went out about 9 PM and first marveled at Orion, high in our southern  sky, I couldn't help but take a few shots with my phone (a Pixel 4A with 5G):


 First (above) a wide view of the southern sky. Orion is prominent above the largest tree that grows beside our barn.


 And now a little closer view ...



  And finally a crop to bring out the Orion Nebula as much as possible. And the three belt stars (the "three kings, the String of Pearls): Alnitak, Alnilam and Mintaka.

 Then to the WNW to see if my phone could find the Andromeda Galaxy:


 Andromeda is located just  above the trees. Below is a zoom:


 Andromeda is the almost vertical "fuzz" just right off and slightly below center. Here's a Stellarium view of the same section of sky ...


 The orientation of the galaxy can be seen to agree with my photo.

 Finally I walked to the west edge of my property and took a few shots.


 I could see the Pleiades vaguely with my poor eyes but enough to aim the camera at the  fuzzy smudge to get the shot above. Below is a zoom:




 It was fairly cold (30° at 9 PM as I began) but at least it was calm. I'm pretty amazed that today's cell phones have enough light-gathering potential to document  these night  skies. Of course it is nothing compared to what a decent DSLR would do. And the addition of a telescope would be invaluable. But at least I can  enjoy the sights with the basic tools  I have.





No comments:

Post a Comment