Tuesday, August 20, 2024

A Not So Very Blue Moon

  There's been talk about yesterday's Blue Moon. I couldn't figure out why it was "blue" since the traditional definition is for two full moon's in a single calendar month (because a lunar month is 29.5 days). The only way that can happen is if the first full moon occurs within the first day or so of the month. Hardly on the 19th.

 So here's what Google says:

There are two types of blue moons: seasonal and monthly. The one Monday will be of the seasonal variety. A seasonal blue moon occurs when there are four full moons in a single season (on this occasion, summer). The third of the four is considered a blue moon when this happens.

 Late evening I looked at Sky Map on my phone and saw the moon was soon to rise. My friend in Florida was already enjoying the just-risen moon but my horizon was still dark. I'd say that proves he lives east of me and was seeing the moon rise earlier.

Moonrise  in Plant City FL - Courtesy Jim Saylor


 But soon enough my southeastern horizon was aglow and I headed out to view the moonrise.


 Too  bad the power pole was in the way but other spots in the yard placed branches and obstructions in the way (I was standing in our driveway).

 So then I went in and got my Canon camera and placed it on a tripod to get a close-up of the risen moon.

 
Nothing "blue" about that. In fact nothing unusual even though they say the moon is closer to the earth in its orbit and is thus a little larger than normal. It was a combination "Super" and "Blue" moon.

 I've always loved Nanci Griffith's song about a blue moon ...








No comments:

Post a Comment