Friday, November 12, 2021

Owl in the Catalpa

Photo Credit: National Aviary

  Last evening, about 7:30 PM, Tom and I were just beginning to watch Jeopardy. It's something we do every evening. I kept hearing something in the background and eventually I muted  the TV and heard an owl hooting nearby.

 I walked to several windows, even upstairs, and looked out front where the sound seemed to be coming  from. It was a rainy, dismal evening and I could see nothing. And yet the hooting continued (it went on about one and a half hours).

 When Jeopardy ended I took my phone out  and carefully recorded a one minute video. I kept the house between me and the owl so it would not be disturbed. The bird was in one of the catalpas in front of the house.

 In the video - which appears almost black - you can see TV/radio towers blinking in the distance. While I was out the moon broke through the clouds but it was just a sliver and didn't add much light. The video is best watched in a darkened room with the volume cranked up. The video includes three calls from the owl.


 I remember Mom and I used to hear owl starting in January. This is a bit early but then everything seems out of whack. I'm just happy to know we have owls living nearby. The woods to the north of us is likely their home.




No comments:

Post a Comment