Friday, November 5, 2021

South Taurid Meteor Shower

  I can  tell you, there wasn't much to see this year. I ran hi-res video all night long and only counted ten meteors. The sky was more alive with airplanes and satellites. The planes seem to come in batches. I imagine  they are package delivery routes: UPS, Amazon and  the like. The satellites go in all directions and are generally dim but steady where the planes are bright and blinking.

 Only the 3 AM hour produced no meteors. The "busiest" hour came at midnight (four).

 I certainly did not grab frames of all ten meteors - they weren't worth the trouble - but I'll post a few for my own records. And I'll post a short video (one minute) of the meteor just  after 2 AM. It wasn't much ... but it was the best I saw.

 Time stamps are provided in the lower right of each frame. By the way, I used a Wyze V3 in "night vision" mode.





 And a video of that meteor (top left at 02:12:04):






 Perhaps a wasted night? But it's always fun to throw a line into the sky  and see what bites.

----

Later: I wondered if there way a  way to take the individual frames from the video above (11/05/2021 at 2:12:04 AM) and layer them into a single frame so that the entire visible track of the meteor would be made visible. Thanks to Sequator160 there is. Unlike other graphics programs which take a four year graduate degree to understand - or a huge bankroll to afford - Sequator160 does this one thing - stacking - and it does it simply and for free.

 Here's is the entire streak of that meteor. This is 16 frames (at 30 fps that's  just over half a second) layered into a single image. The meteor wasn't bright and it pulsed a bit as it burnt up, but now the entre trail  can be seen.






No comments:

Post a Comment