Tuesday, January 25, 2022

White Bread (Don't get greedy)

  I'm out of white bread and  Tom just went to the grocery yesterday. So what do I do? Make my own. Trouble is, I got greedy,

 I used the Betty Crocker recipe that I've used plenty of times in the past. So I know it's  a good one (here). The end result was tasty though it lacked the usual loft, What did I do wrong?


 First of all, I was a bit worried about the yeast I was using. It was given to me about a year and a half ago and I've kept it in an airtight container and frozen. And I've been using it, of course. I proofed it to make sure it was good and the milk/sugar moisture soon began to foam.

 OK, no problem there.


 And actually the finished loaves don't look too bad. They just deflated their tops a bit during baking.

 But when I mixed the dough and set it to rise the first time I found that it had certainly tripled in the time allotted (1.5 hours). Beautiful! This stuff is going to the moon.


 Well, no.

 So I knocked it down, divided it into two pan and let it rise again. Still GREAT!


 But that was the problem. I let the doughs "overdevelop". I was too anxious for a big rise and when I set it to bake,  the top began collapsing. Both loaves looked like a balloon that had the air left out of it. And that's exactly what happened.

 I allowed the second rise to run another hour and a half. I should have stopped at 45 minutes (as the recipe states) and allowed the rise to continue a bit while the baking got underway. The dough didn't have the structure necessary to hold it's head high.

This is what I ended up with:


 The tops had completely collapsed upon themselves and the bread became a bit more dense than I'd have liked. But they smell great and taste wonderful. So it was salvaged in the end. But the bread was also not what it could have been.

 Note to self: don't get greedy in  the kitchen.  Enough is always enough.





1 comment:

  1. Enough is always enough. That is a great, succinct rule for life. Great words.

    ReplyDelete