Thursday, February 3, 2022

Blueberry Custard Pie

  I've been making various custard pies for years and Tom  enjoys them most with fresh blueberries added. This time I used a basic custard pie recipe from Allrecipes.com. It's posted here.


 I like the old-fashioned look and taste of custard. It's something my Aunt Belle (born just after the Civil War) would have made.


 It's just a matter of making the basic pie and adding the blueberries prior to baking. Because they're added fresh - and nothing is stirred afterwards - they don't break open and dye the mixture blue. I've watched one chef make this and he dusted the blueberries with flour prior to adding them but I don't see the point.


 Th pie tastes "light" to me ... but it isn't. It's close to 300 calories per slice. This recipe calls for half a dozen eggs.

 Still, today is cold and wintery and we needed a nice dessert for lunch. This one filled the bill.




No comments:

Post a Comment