Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Coca Cola Cake

  Every year I make a Coca Cola cake for Tom's birthday. This is a popular item at Cracker Barrel and Tom often orders it when we're there. Recently, though, he was a little disappointed.

 I like the recipe at Just A Pinch. Click here.


 We bought a high-quality vanilla bean ice cream (Breyers) to go with it and enjoyed a slice last evening. It's just delicious (if you can avoid thinking about the calories).


 I prefer Hershey's Special Dark cocoa rather than the standard cocoa. It's not only darker but a richer, deeper flavor. See below for notes I jotted down while making this.


 The sheet cake should be moist but I've found that the "20 to 25 minutes" of baking time isn't quite long enough. This time 30 was just right. Use a cake tester or a toothpick and make sure it comes out fairly clean.


 Once it cools somewhat the frosting may be poured on. It'll seal the cake to the edges in a 13x9" metal baking pan.

 Now for my notes:

1. Instead of buttermilk I use regular milk to which I add a tablespoon of lemon.
2. I found the frosting to be a bit too liquid for my liking (though it may have set if I'd have given it the time) so I added additional powdered sugar (perhaps an entire cup) and then added a couple of teaspoons of corn starch. Neither may have been needed but I liked the result.
3. And as noted above, a 30 minute baking time was needed in my oven.

 This is quite a lovely cake and is certainly as good as the best Cracker Barrel offers.




No comments:

Post a Comment