Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Zucchini Casserole

  We had our first zucchini in the form of fritters last week and I told Tom we had another zucchini coming on. How about cooked? He would tolerate it but it wasn't something  he wanted to have very often. So I started thinking of other ideas. Zucchini casserole? Yes, that would be good.

Mom made a delicious - and simple - casserole from a recipe Lois Masters gave her. I didn't have everything she used but I figured a few changes wouldn't hurt.


 The casserole makes a delicious combination of fresh zucchini, tomatoes, onions, melted cheese and bread crumbs. Here's Mom's original handwritten recipe:


We only had cherry tomatoes ripe so I used them. Full-size tomatoes sliced are a better choice. And rather than Colby cheese, I used shredded sharp cheddar. And I distinctly remember Mom using cut up slices of packaged American cheese on this dish.

 Mom always made her own bread crumbs but I used Panko. Also she lightly salted and peppered the layers as she went and I just added pepper stop (Tom does not want salt used when I cook). All in all, it's not quite as good as Mom's but it's definitely a satisfying dish.

Just out of the oven

 I think an important step is not to overbake this dish. The zucchini should still be firm, not limp and soggy. I set the oven  to 350° and turned it off at the 35 minute mark but let the dish sit there while I finished some corn on the cob.

Prior to going into the oven

 Tom and I had several helpings of the casserole (me three, Tom two) and an ear of boiled and buttered corn. Then I made a sundae with vanilla bean ice cream and put a strawberry sauce on top. What could cap it off better?







No comments:

Post a Comment