Sunday, February 19, 2023

Cheese Popovers

  My sister-in-law gave me a couple of old recipes she found in a box and one looks to be a 1950's era recipe for Cheese Popovers. I tried them today. I do not know the source. First, the  recipe:

Click to enlarge

 I have never made popovers before and was surprised to find no leavening agents: baking powder or baking soda. So I looked at some modern recipes and found the same to be true. I felt safe in trying it as written. It certainly couldn't simpler.


 I'll make them again, I'm sure, and here are two notes for future reference:

1. I made 6, not 12. Because they are larger I figured they'd take extra baking time. But how long? After 25 minutes they were browning nicely (see above) and I figured they were done. They were not. I suppose another 5 minutes would have worked but I'll follow the recipe next time and make a dozen.

2. I used a non-stick muffin pan and thought it was safe to forego greasing  them. Nope. They stuck quite badly and clean-up was a chore. I'll spray oil on next time (or even try a paper cupcake liner).

 I heated the muffin pan per instructions but I think it would have been enough to warm the milk in advance (per modern recipes) to get a head-start on the baking. I, in fact, put the batter in the microwave for less than a minute to warm it before pouring it into the muffin tin. You want to be careful if you do this! Do not warm to the point that you are pre-cooking  the batter. You merely want it warm.


 The popovers are really quite beautiful. My oven is warmer to the rear thus  the back ones browned more quickly.

 Overall,  I think I'd have been better just following  the recipe. Next time, instead of cheese, how about a layer of cinnamon/sugar in the middle and consider them a dessert (or even breakfast) item? I'd fill the tin part way, sprinkle in the cinnamon/sugar and then finish off with more batter.

 But there I go again, making changes.




No comments:

Post a Comment