Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Martha's Vanilla Pound Cake

  Well, it's almost Martha Stewart's vanilla pound cake. But not quite.


 What's different? I didn't like the idea of unleavened. I wanted to dispense with a mixer or any mechanical device to beat air into the batter. So I added two teaspoons of baking powder. And I certainly didn't follow the directions of adding a bit of this, a bit of that. Maybe it's not as good due to my shortcuts but we had it for lunch and it seemed to meet our needs.

 First, Martha Stewart's recipe can be found here.


 It looks essentially the same as the one picture with the recipe. I love how the top cracks a bit. It looks like it's bursting with goodness.

 My oven is very uneven so I turned it while it baked to give each side equal heat. I did bake for the entire hour and I think a little less would be better. The bottom was a little dark.


 It baked very evenly. I love the texture and the simplicity of the recipe. Yes, I added one more ingredient than was called for but I didn't have a mixer to clean up.

 Next time I'll cut baking time to 55 minutes (maybe even 50). I tested for doneness before taking it out of the oven and I would certainly be careful with a shorter bake time.

 How about a vanilla frosting next time (powdered sugar, vanilla and milk)? Or substituting lemon for the vanilla?





No comments:

Post a Comment