Thursday, February 1, 2024

Coconut Cake

  For many years every January Meijer had a special in their bakery of Coconut Cake. They'd have them out on tables by the doors. For the past two years we've not been able to find them. Tom mentioned how much he missed them so I set out to make something close.


 The whipped cream icing is very close but I think I baked the cake a bit too long and I'd have to describe it as more than a bit "dense".

 I use this Simple White Cake recipe for the cake and I used this Cool Whipped Frosting recipe for the frosting.


 I baked the cake in a 9x9" aluminum pan. My oven is hotter in the back so I turned it at the 20 minute mark. I do believe a 40 minute bake time is too long in my oven but when I checked it at the 30 minute mark the center looked wet.  Next time I'll compromise at 35 minutes.

All I had was Aldi flour and I've found that not a good choice in the past. I far prefer King Arthur Bread Flour for most everything.


 The batter is easily mixed with a spoon.


 After baking, you can see that the center square seems less baked than the rest. And yet I found the cake "tough" and think the suggested maximum bake time is too long.


The frosting is perfect and very close to Meijer's. I suppose the addition of the vanilla pudding mix (instant, not cooked)  allows the frosting to set up a bit. It is still basically whipped cream with a little extra body.


 I thought the cake turned out very pretty with the addition of sweetened flaked coconut.


 This is an easy recreation of the Meijer offering. It's not really white but a light yellow. And Meijer's was definitely a more delicate cake and actually preferable ... if it was only still available.





No comments:

Post a Comment