Thursday, September 3, 2026

Autumn Crocus

  Many people don't know about the Autumn Crocus and I didn't know we had any until a couple of years ago. I obviously planted them and forgot. They're in the nature reserve and about two years ago I mowed a path through there that happened upon the spot where these are growing. I was actually startled by the lavender on the ground.

 I do remember seeing the lily-like leaves in the spring and never knew what they were. But once I had identified them during their blooming cycle, I watch for them every fall.

First seen on 09-01-26

09-03-26 (all the rest of the photos)




 They're planted behind (west) where I have naturalized the daffodils.

 Oddly, the bulbs are not bothered by squirrels. They also disregard the  daffodils but I cannot have any other spring bulbs (tulips, hyacinths, etc.). This year I also noticed that all the Surprise Lilies ("Naked Ladies") are gone.

 As pretty as they are,  the plants are toxic so it's good thy are not in the yard where Parker might get to them.





No comments:

Post a Comment