Sunday, August 30, 2026

Having a Drink

  With all the rain we've had in August (almost 14") we've had only  half an inch in the last ten days. It's actually getting quite dry out. Thus the probable explanation for what we're witnessing at our hummingbird feeder. Or rather the "ant moat" above it.

 I keep the moat filled with water. It's certainly a small source ... but it is fresh water.

 Enter this squirrel ...


 I was doing lunch dishes today when I realized I was being watched. I called Tom to come and take a look.


 This is the set-up: a maple conveniently located  by the kitchen window where we can watch hummingbirds at the feeder. Or birds using our assortment of birdhouses. Or woodpeckers and other birds at our two suet feeders.

 And squirrels.


 It's a stretch but the squirrel can hang by her toenails (I think it is female) and manage to sip water from the ant moat. I found it draining too quickly a month ago and I happened to see the squirrel then also.


 She'll drink a bit - upside down yet - and then stand atop the branch and lip her lips.  I'm sure, as small as the source is, that it's still a great refreshment and handy. She has found the perfect source to satisfy her thirst in this tree.

07-30-26

 I first saw her do this trick a month ago today.






No comments:

Post a Comment