Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Time Lapse

  I've been experimenting with time lapse a bit. Our Wyze cameras that we use for security have that capability built in and I've thought about trying it many times but never got around to it.

 I tried the V3 a few days ago but I left the default setting of grabbing a frame at 3 seconds. That's far too often and my first test from 8 AM to 8 PM resulted in a whopping 1.3 gigabyte file. That's useless for most things since it can't easily be shared. And because it's "almost" normal time, the time lapse effect is mostly thrown away.

 So yesterday I set up one of the V2's from 9 AM to 8 PM and set the capture rate as once per minute. That's more like it. The 60 frames/hour, played back at 30 fps, compress an hour to 2 seconds. And the entire file runs just 22 seconds and uses just under 49 megabytes.

 Here it is:


 That seems a reasonable number to use in the future. It creates a true time lapse effect and the file size is manageable.

 Next I'd like to try this at night and probably aim the camera towards Polaris and see the effect of stars rotating on a circular path. The V3 has what Wyze calls a "Starlight sensor". It does record the night sky reasonably well. There's quite a bit of noise but I think as we approach winter, colder nights should settle that down.


 Click on the above image for a higher resolution view. This gives some idea of the magnitude of stars that are visible with this camera.

 I'd run a time lapse on our Night Blooming Cereus but, since it blooms in the dark, there wouldn't be much to see, and right when you'd want to see it the most. But flowers opening is an idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment