Sunday, September 5, 2021

Lemon Zucchini Bread

  The garden avalanche continues so I've been on the lookout for recipes that make use of some of the zucchini. I'm partial to sweets so a recipe posted on Facebook caught my eye.

 There are a number of recipes available but I chose the one credited to "Lemon Tree Dwelling. The recipe is available here.

 


 I'd have preferred making two loaves (I certainly have enough zucchini) but I figured this one-loaf recipe was a smart test until I found it whether I liked it. I do!


 Anyone who reads my blog entries that involve recipes quickly realize that I seldom follow directions. There's simply no sense in combining the dry ingredients in one bowl and other ingredients in another. My philosophy is to use one bowl and mix the wet ingredients first. I added the shredded zucchini first and then added everything except the flour. This makes it easier to mix thoroughly. The picture above is after I added the flour and was ready to pour the batter into the baking pan.
 By the way, when  the lemon is added the mixture foams a bit. It settles down when the flour is added.


 Here is the single baking pan with the batter added. It's a pretty yellow and the kitchen sure had a wonderful lemony smell.


 The competed loaf. At 50 minutes I tested it and it was done. I suppose this depends on the "wetness" of the zucchini. The instructions call for not squeezing or drying the shredded zucchini and that's unlike many recipes I've used. The zucchini (along with the vegetable oil and lemon juice) supply the moisture here so it's necessary to have it "wet". But the extra five minutes baking time might be necessary for some.


 I took the loaf out of the pan as soon as it began to cool (I don't have a wire rack). It's just about perfect. As soon as it had mostly cooled I made the glaze and applied it. Note: I place the cooled loaf back in the pan for this step. It contains the glaze and makes everything less messy.

 The glaze is perhaps the best part. It is tart and sweet at the same time and delicious! The instructions allow for doubling the glaze. That's a god idea if you have dessert lovers.

 This recipe is a keeper. It's a novel turn on the basic zucchini quick bread recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment