Saturday, October 30, 2021

White Bread (again)

  I added bread to my grocery list for tomorrow and then thought the better of it. Why not just make a loaf?

 I like a recipe for Simple White Bread that I've made before. The  recipe is here.


 I don't understand the variability of how high the loaf rises. I made it very similar as to before (though a single loaf). I did not mix the yeast as the last time (both Active and Rapid Rise) but used only the Active variety (because that's all I had). Same bread flour. And the  way I warm the rising dough in the oven is the same. And yet this loaf was not as high.

 That said, the taste is excellent.


 The recipe calls for the bread to rise an inch above the bread pan before baking. I let it rise an hour  and a half and it was barely even with the top of the pan. The recipe calls for only one rise and that is unusual.


 The bread is light and airy with plenty of holes and with an  even texture.


 It couldn't be prettier. Other than higher.

 I cut two slices when it cooled. I buttered the heal and ate it that way. The next slice in (pictured at the top of this post) I lathered on some butter and then a spoonful of orange marmalade. Just great! Tomorrow morning it will be perfect as toast.




No comments:

Post a Comment