Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Antique Bench Reupholstered

 

Reupholstered Antique Bench

 I didn't know quite what to call it and I usually referred to it as "the stool in the bathroom". It's become my go-to place to put on my socks every morning. There was only one problem: the upholstery was falling apart and what might traditionally be called "stuffing" was littering the carpet.

 First, I've found a reference to the "bench" on Pinterest. There it's called an "Antique Paw Foot Cast Iron Vanity Leg Bench/Vanity Bench". OK. good enough. Although the description there dates it to the "!800's" I don't think it's nearly that old. I'd place its manufacture in the 1920's or 1930's and part of the Art Deco period.

 For future reference, the legs have "OWI 630" cast into them. Does the OWI refer to a manufacturer? Is the 630 a model number?

 As noted, the legs are simply cast iron. It appears they were painted gold at one time. I'm leaving them exactly as shown above.

Bench before being reupholstered


 The old fabric was developing holes and through each hole something that looks like wood splinters was coming out. It wasn't safe to sit on it - especially in underwear - and it was littering the carpet with something that looked like sawdust. Whenever I vacuumed I was damaging it further.
 Is the fabric shown original to the piece?


 Here's a close-up of a corner. The fabric was nailed on below  but rather crudely. That makes me think this fabric was a replacement.


 While the original piece just had a bare wood bottom, the reupholstered piece has a dust cover added to the bottom. Much classier.


 I chose this new fabric to compliment the bathroom carpeting. I took the piece to William Meyers about 1 PM yesterday and he returned it to me about 3 PM. He said he wanted to show an apprentice how to reupholster a small bench.

 Bill, by the way, reupholstered our four dining room chairs some years ago and we have been very happy with the quality of his work. Those in the Dayton  area should consider him for this type of work. Highly recommended.

 So this morning I was able to put on my socks with a very comfortable bench to sit upon.




No comments:

Post a Comment