Monday, March 14, 2022

Mini-Orchid Blooms again

  Many years ago (five or six?) Tom bought an orchid for a friend who loved purple. She has since died and the orchid came back to Tom. It's been here for the past two years (at least) and it began life on our enclosed south-facing porch. I found that spot not great for orchids so I moved it to the north windowsill  above the kitchen sink. It obviously is happy there.

 In January - or perhaps December - I was washing  dishes one day when I rotated the plant so the other side would get more light and saw a thin, green flower stalk reaching out. 

 First, here are two pictures of how it looked when it reached it's peak of blooming. Eight flowers!

03/06/22

03/10/22

 Now, let's go back to early  January  and watch its progress ...

01/15/22

01/25/22

02/02/22

02/08/22

02/13/22

02/24/22

 It's quite a magnificent little thing. I've found that the light in a north window to be right for this orchid. In the summer it is further shaded by a maple but the light is still ample because the window is so wide (several panes spread over six horizontal feet). And because we do dishes every day it is the perfect spot to watch its progress.

 I've also found that watering the plant thoroughly once a week is the right choice. I let excess water collect in the saucer underneath but I pour it all out after an hour or so. I never water it again until a week has passed.














No comments:

Post a Comment