Sunday, March 13, 2022

Strawberry Shortcake

  Tom came home with fresh Florida strawberries on Friday, We could have had them "as is" for a nice dessert but I wanted something a little more elaborate. My friend in Florida, Jim Saylor, had been mentioning work he'd been doing to get ready for a strawberry festival there so that prompted other thoughts.

 In fact, when I looked at the strawberries Tom bought I saw that they were grown in Winter Haven, Florida. That's just east of Jim.

 Then I thought I might try a shortcake recipe. This is one dessert I've never made. Frankly, neither of us prefer shortcake to angel food cake which was Tom's mother's way of making this. I remember my own mother buying a small pound cake at Kroger's and coming up with  something similar.

 But I searched for shortcake recipes and, as usual, settled on one listed at allrecipes.com. The recipe is here.


 Per usual, I made changes. I wanted the biscuit dough to be sweet so I used the entire 1/2 cups of sugar in the batter (but I didn't add more sugar to the strawberries). I was all but out of milk so I used 1 cup of water (2/3 cup was not enough liquid in my  estimation). But because of the extra liquid I baked the shortbread for about 53 minutes.


 During the last couple of minutes I turned the broiler on high to give the top a little color and a slight amount of crunch.


 The shortbread is baked perfectly top to bottom.

 Tom bought the pound of berries at Aldi. They were on special for $1.49. I bought more on Sunday at Kroger's (Driscoll's) at $2.99.



 I also opted to cut  the shortcake into wedges (8) as I would a pie. As instructed I sliced the first servings in half horizontally but ended up not placing the strawberries in between the slices (or on top for that matter).  That seems too much trouble to me. It's easier to serve a wedge (better in a small bowl than on a plate, too) and placing whipping cream atop  everything.

 This shortcake recipe is easy - and the traditional way to serve this dessert - but I do believe I prefer angel food or pound cake.





No comments:

Post a Comment