Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Simple Zucchini Bread

  This is the time of year when the zucchini plants are most productive. We have two this summer and I suppose that's at least one too many. Perhaps even two?

 In any case, per usual, the zukes are coming on non-stop. I've cooked them. I've fried and breaded  them. And I've given them away. Yesterday when we stepped out the back door I mentioned our largesse to Tom. "What are we going to do with all the zucchinis?" I asked. "Make some zucchini bread," he said.

 And so I did.

 I have a number of family recipes - and I also have Lois Masters recipe somewhere (I couldn't find it). But I searched on the webs for a "simple zucchini bread" and SimplyRecipes.com didn't let me down. Click here for the recipe I used.

 


 This very basic recipe calls for optional nuts (pecans or walnuts) or fruit (cranberries or raisins). I opted only to add a small bag of English Walnuts. I have lots of black walnut chips but I figured they would give too strong a flavor. And I have both raisins and cranberries but chose to go the basic route instead.

 Since making the bread others have suggested pineapple. That sounds good to me (though the  amount of added moisture would have to be monitored). I wonder, too, whether coconut might be added along with pineapple to give an almost Pina colada  effect? Another suggestion was chocolate chips.


 I used nearly four cups of grated zucchini (and still have nearly half a large zuke left). I squeezed excess moisture out though I wasn't particularly careful. To some extent this can be dealt with by adjusting the baking time. The batter (above) was easily stirred. I love the green flakes that the peel imparts to the bread so don't peel the zucchini before use.


 Dividing the batter equally between two loaf pans can be a little challenging. You want it as equal as possible so baking time can be the same for both loaves. I didn't quite achieve that ... but I was close. The pans must be greased. After baking and cooling, the bread will simply fall out when the pans are inverted.


 I found 50 minutes at 350° to be almost perfect. You want a "quick bread" to be moist and flavorful, never dry. I suppose I might have added a few minutes to compensate for the "wet" grated zucchini but I'm happy with how it turned out at the allotted time.

 



 Both plants have plenty of flowers and fruit. And yes, zucchini is a fruit, not a vegetable.



No comments:

Post a Comment