Thursday, August 26, 2021

Homemade Mac and Cheese

  Time for some old fashioned Mac and cheese. This recipe doesn't duplicate my mothers but it's very good And we just had leftovers for lunch from two days ago and I'd call it even better.


 This recipe was from Allrecipes.com. Click here to see it.

 A couple of notes about changes I made:

1. I had very little cheddar cheese so I used what I had for the topping. For the bulk of the recipe I used mozzarella. Tom had bought an industrial-sized bag for some lasagna he was making but he had enough without ever opening this bag. I think it has outdated in April but it looked good so I used it.

2. I used more than a "pinch" of paprika on  the top.

 I was surprised at how much milk the recipe used (3 cups). That seemed excessive to me but I followed the directions just the same. While it was still warm (the first day we had it for lunch) and the Mac and cheese was quite milky (but still good). Today all of that moisture had been absorbed while in the refrigerator and it was perfect.

 I sprinkled Panko bread crumbs liberally on the top, too.

 I wish I knew exactly how Mom made her Mac and cheese. I know she used sliced American (artificial) cheese and cut it up. I'd think that would not be a poor choice but it was wonderful. She also managed to get the top quite brown and even crunchy. It was less creamy but a wonderful effect.

Anyway I'm keeping this recipe for future use.


No comments:

Post a Comment