Monday, October 18, 2021

Apple Crisp Delight

  It's that time of year for apples. And over the weekend I was showing Pam Beery the cook book Mom put together for me before she died. She selected my favorite foods and wrote a short recipe for each one. I hadn't seen that she included "Apple Crisp".




 This was a favorite dessert of Bob and mine. I decided to give it a try since it's so simple. When Tom and I were at Kroger this morning I bought a bag of  Gala  apples ($4.99 for five pounds) and late in the day cored and peeled eight. The bag contained 16 so I have half left for eating.


 Gala was probably not the best choice. They are too naturally sweet.


 It took eight of the apples to fill much of an 8x8" baking dish, 


 The topping reminds me of others I make for coffee cakes. The margarine is "cut in" with a fork so it is distributed  equally in  the mixture. It should be crumbly when finished.


 Here's the apples with the topping spooned on and ready to go into the oven.


 And here's the finished dish. I baked it for the 45 minutes as Mom suggested and it looks like I remember hers. I added the broiler on high for a minute or so to brown the top a little more. I always liked it a little  crunchy.

 How is it? Wonderful. Childhood memories contained in a small dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment