Wednesday, October 27, 2021

First Frost of the Season

  We're running very late for a first frost. In fact, this is my 48th year of keeping frost records and the previous latest was October 26. This is one day later.

 The previous latest occurred in 2005. The earliest I've ever recorded frost was September 19 in 2012.

 My average date of first frost was October 6. This very late year pushes the new normal to October 9.

 Considering how cold it got (30.9°) I'm surprised the frost wasn't more generally seen and heavier. I saw none in our front or side yards. I had to look to the back yard to see a layer of light frost almost everywhere.


 As I did my laps in Sam's lane, the sun rose beautiful in a sky crossed with vapor trails.


 The soybeans and grass planted there as an early winter cover was lightly sprinkled with ice.

 Look closely at this shot for the treat I was provided near the end of my walk ...


 Can't see it? Here's a closer shot of a sundog.


 A little warmer weather ahead. Upper 50's today. Then rain. So we'll head into November with only one frosty night so far this season.




No comments:

Post a Comment