Thursday, October 28, 2021

Cornmeal Mush

  I'm always looking for a little variety in my meals and something triggered a memory of cornmeal mush yesterday.


 In fact, cornmeal mush is one of my earliest memories, mostly because I remember the day Dad brought a bowl home with him that my Aunt Belle had made for us. She was already an old lady in the early 1950's as she was born in 1870, just after the Civil War.

 Dad made a big deal about the treat - and Mom did, too (probably because she had one less thing to cook). I remember seeing the yellow-gold of the raw mush in a bowl. I wish I remembered if I ate any (surely I did) and what my opinion was. I figured my aunt had to go to a lot of work for something so obviously prized.

 But no. I made a pan of it yesterday and it's just three ingredients: water, cornmeal and a pinch of salt. I used the recipe posted here but surely any will do.

 It wasn't something Tom was interested  in. He chose toast for breakfast. And he slept in anyway so while he was dozing I  cut several slices, put them in a sauté pan with butter and fried them. I'd guess about seven minutes per side.

 Though I placed the bottle of pancake syrup on the table - that's how Dad liked them - I merely added a sprinkle of salt and had at it. Soon they were all gone and the syrup remained untouched.

 I'll have to eat the whole pan myself so there's going to be a few breakfasts of corn mush. That's not a bad thing. though!



No comments:

Post a Comment