Thursday, June 15, 2023

Hummers at the Feeder

  Last year Tom bought a new hummingbird feeder, an ant guard and a bottle of nectar concentrate, I put it up about a month ago and things have been really quiet. Then, about a week ago, Tom was at the kitchen window and saw a hummer flitting by. It didn't drink from the feeder but was probably just checking it out.

 Then it was my turn to see a hummer fly by and I grabbed my camera in time to provide proof.

June 10, 2023

But  yesterday a hummer came and stayed long enough to take a sip ...

June 14, 2023



 This one seemed less skittish and gave me time to get my camera (which I now keep in the kitchen) and get a few shots.

 This is probably a female ruby-throated:


 This one kept an eye on me the whole time I was taking pictures. She sipped all the while but would never turn her back on me. Often she moved to the far side of the feeder.

 But later I found another sitting there - not sipping at all - and she had her back to me. Was it one and the same?


 In any case, we're glad to see they've found the feeder and that they're making us of it. Hummingbirds were one of mom's greatest joys.







No comments:

Post a Comment