Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Arroz con Leche

 I love rice pudding and I love  Pati Jinich and her Pati's Mexican Table on PBS. I'm a real fan of Create and I watch many of the cooking shows. I rank Pati tops for her enthusiasm and the wealth of easy recipes. She does a great job of explaining what she's doing, too.

 I make rice pudding now and then but I've never managed a creamy version and her Arroz con Leche looked to fit the bill. I'm apparently doing something wrong because again the pudding is not creamy.

 Even so, the flavor is good. The recipe is here.


 What am I doing wrong? I suppose part of the problem is the rice I'm using. She uses a Mahatma white rice. I picked up a bag of long grain rice at the grocery (not the cheapest, either) and we've been eating it in various dishes and like it quite well.


 Otherwise I followed the directions  fairly closely. I used ground cinnamon rather than a cinnamon stick and I used grated orange peel instead of the actual rind of  an orange. I can't imagine either makes a difference in the consistency.

I cooked the rice with two cups of water as the recipe (and the bag of rice) calls for. I added every drop of the four cups of water and also the full 4 ounces of sweetened condensed milk. That's a lot of liquid!


 In fact when the cooking was done, the pudding looked exactly the way I wanted it to. But as it sat and cooled - and especially after refrigeration - it seriously thickened. There's nothing creamy about it. It's thick enough to hold on to a spoon.

 I've made it three times before and I've always had similar results: Try#1   Try#2   Try#3

 Give me credit for traying, at least. I'll get it but I'm not there yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment