Wednesday, October 5, 2022

How to vent our dryer?

  We've lived here 35 years and had a washer/dryer for most of them. The pair sits on an inside wall for two reasons: 1. There's nowhere else they could possibly go and 2. That's where the electrical and water hook-up's are.

 I've always wanted to vent it outside. Had it been a gas dryer, it would have been required (because of the carbon monoxide risk). But seeing as how our dryer is electric the outside vent might have been convenient but it wasn't required.

 How did I manage venting for all these years? In the early years I vented into water. The idea is that lint will "stick" to the surface of the water. It does. Somewhat. But not well.

 Then I decided a better choice might be to wrap a pair of women's hose  across the outlet pipe and make a sort of filter. It works,  too, though it pushed warm, humid air  against our wood wall and I was afraid it would either stain it or warp it. Even so, I managed many years with that set-up.

  But now  I'm trying a BetterVent®. I bought it from SupplyHouse. Click here for information.



 It easy to install: four screws. And I've used it once and really liked the way it spread the humid air our into a gentle flow through two filters.

 It'd be better to get the vent outside but this is a reasonable alternative for my set-up. Sure, it adds hot, humid air to the house in the summer (a negative) but it also adds that warm air in the winter (a plus). So I think economically it's a wash.

 More about the product can be found here.




No comments:

Post a Comment