Thursday, October 27, 2022

Apple Crisp time

 Every fall I make something with apples. I prefer the apple dumplings but they're harder to make and certainly take more time. A few days ago I bought a five pound bag of Granny Smith apples and I had four apples left from an earlier purchase. Late in the day I thought I'd put together a pan of apple crisp.


I used the Mennonite recipe this time and that's clearly the one Tom prefers. You can find the recipe here.

I think the addition of half a cup of water is a little too much. A  quarter cup makes more sense but it may depend on the moisture content of the apples. This makes an almost-caramel syrup but it's a little wet for me.


 The  dry ingredients after the butter has been cut in will be crumbly.


 The Granny Smith's I bought at Kroger were perfect. I prefer a tart apple for this recipe.


  The shot above is before baking. Pecans are not a part of the recipe but I added what I had. Cracker Barrel makes an apple dumpling that includes pecans and I've always thought the combination with apples was wonderful.


 After baking the "dry" mixture melts into a caramel-like sauce. My oven might  be running a bit hot; some of the pecans are a bit over-toasted. I've known for some time that  the back of my oven  runs hotter than the front.

 I've blogged  about other versions of apple crisp, too. You might want to check on of them out by clicking here, here or here.




No comments:

Post a Comment