Tuesday, October 11, 2022

DR Takes Me for a Ride in the Harvester

 


 The sun is just rising when I'm out starting my laps just after 8 AM. DR Coffman started harvesting his corn a few days ago and yesterday he did the entire field east of Pinehaven. Today I found the Case sitting at the edge of the field to our west.

 It's a cool 39° and the dew has collected on the corn debris which is lying in the field. I know he'll wait a while for the sun to dry things off a bit before beginning any work today. But it's a sunny forecast so he'll  be harvesting before some rain  arrives Wednesday late.


 I posted these two pictures on Facebook and got a number of suggestions that I ask  DR if I might join him for a pass. It's certainly something I've always wanted to do. But I know he's a busy man, especially now, and I hate to bother him with such a request.

 And yet most tell me he won't mind. So after lunch, when I see him threading the rows of corn, I send him a text message: If you ever have room to take me along for a swipe while you're harvesting corn, let me know! I'd love to see it close up.

 It isn't long before he answers: Come on out.

 And so as he ends a row near Pinehaven I walk over to the grain bins and wait a few minutes for him to  arrive and start unloading corn. He opens the door  and unfolds a ladder and motions me aboard.

 Oh, boy.


 I'm now in the cab protected from the dust as he slides back to the driver's seat and continues unloading  the corn. He moves the harvester back and forth to evenly distribute the load.  And then we turn and head back the field.


 The  Case 2166 is a behemoth to me - though perhaps small by today's standards -  and it looks complicated. But he drives with his left hand on the steering wheel  and his right on a small controller that does heavens-knows-what.


 And so we start west (Pinehaven is on the right). This row of corn is about a third of a mile long and two passes - just once in  each direction - fills the hamper and requires the  corn be unloaded. While it is noisy, it is less noisy on the inside. The stalks of corn slips between the metal guides and disappear at our feet. Kernels of corn are collected behind us; chopped corn stalks and cobs fall to the ground in a never-ending mechanical dance.




 A look  at the controls for the harvester. He steers with his left hand and uses a small controller for various functions of the harvester.




DR Coffman - Farmersville Ohio

 A sincere Thank You to DR for an informative ride and one thing I can now cross off my bucket list. After 35 years of  watching from my window,  I've finally seen a corn harvest from ground zero.




1 comment: