Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Furnace Filter Woes

  I've been changing furnace filters here for 35 years and I've never liked it. Lately I've come away from each change bleeding.


 Here's what the last filter looked like after I got it removed on 09-21. Yes, it was in shreds. And it in turn shredded my hands. That red is blood.

 The slot has never been wide  enough for a 14x20x1 filter. And recently the filters I've been buying fit even tighter than before. They'll  drop down into the slot but they can't be pulled back out. I've tried screwdrivers along the edge and needle-nosed pliers in the center. They just jammed every time.

 So I called Dave and asked if a new holder for the filter could be made. This is what the furnace looked like with the existing filter holder removed  and the filter just taped onto the bottom of the furnace.

09-29

 In just five days Dave brought the new aluminum piece.



 Rather than drop the filter in from above, it's inserted in a track that allows it to slide in horizontally. Much nicer! And the filter size was increased to a 16x20x1 so the air flow should be a little better.

 We've had the furnace on today and all is well. This is going to save my hands ... and my fragile temper.




No comments:

Post a Comment