Sunday, October 9, 2022

Gnomon Experiment

  This is an experiment I try to remember to do every October 8. I’m walking in the neighbor’s lane every morning (weather permitting)  and on that date – if the sun is shining about 8 AM – my shadow exactly hits the middle of the last large tree nearby. The left image is 10/08/13 at 7:51 AM and the right image is 10/09/22 at 8:10 AM. Near enough. Yesterday, when I was set to do the experiment, it was cloudy at sunrise and we also went out for our Saturday morning  breakfast. It means that the Earth is in the same spot in its orbit and the tilt is exactly the same for this line-up to occur. I think it’s a good demonstration of how precise celestial mechanics is.


 I am effectively making myself a gnomon, the vertical piece that stands up in the middle of a sundial that casts its shadow to the time. I suppose I'm demonstrating both time  and date because if neither are the same, standing in the lane my shadow will not shine on this tree but at about 8 AM.

 Click on  the image to enlarge. See my original post here.




No comments:

Post a Comment