Tom isn't big on desserts but as his birthday cake ran low, I began thinking about what sweet treat to make next. I decided on a basic Egg Custard. I had fresh blueberries I bought a few days ago from Kroger and thought that would make a perfect topping.
Tom said he'd have preferred my custard pie with blueberries on top but I just wanted something simple.
Basic Egg Custard
2 C milk
2 large eggs
1/2 C white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/2 ts vanilla
Nutmeg on top
Preheat oven to 325°
Whisk the ingredients together and divide into five custard cups
Place in an oven-safe pan and add hot water (up 1/2 the depth of the cups)
Bake about an hour. Check that a knife inserted comes out clean
Before baking
After baking
This is really a terrific and easy dessert and somehow seems more wholesome than instant pudding.
Two notes: I think a little extra baking time would have set the custard more firmly, say an hour and five minutes? And I forgot to add the fresh blueberries. Well, there's always tomorrow.



No comments:
Post a Comment