August is the traditional month where we see brown, parched lawn and cracked, barren soil. Not so this month.
I just read 3.35" in the rain gauge at 7 am. I've been keeping daily readings for 52 years and I don't ever remember a reading like that. Not even in the heavy rains of spring.
What's more, the month is now over a foot! I'm at 13.19" and the month is only two-thirds complete.
I went to bed at my usual 10:30 pm and I briefly heard a storm approaching. I might have heard it raining but I don't remember much more. The Tempest shows all hell breaking loose:
These extreme rainfall rates went on for hours. This morning the sump is working overtime and on my walk back the neighbor's lane I saw the result of the overnight flooding.
Here's a wider view of the rainfall:
And the lightning:
There were 230 strikes recorded by the Tempest: 90 on 08/19 and 140 on 08/20.
Notice the weeds and grasses laid down by the water. This is a seldom-used swale, trying to transport the excess water away from the con field.
Looking the other direction (NE) there is plenty of water still waiting to make an exit to Little Twin Creek.
Water is standing everywhere, else audibly running where hidden by the stand of corn.
Our annual rainfall is at 42.96" through this morning. Our normal annual rainfall is about 40.50". And we've got over four months to go.
When Tom got up I told him how much rain we had and asked me if I heard an "explosion" at midnight? He figured it was thunder so I watched the video from my outdoor security camera starting at midnight. The lightning flash is at 00:21 (see top left of the frame).
By the way, the forecast "flooding risk" was pretty much spot on.
Credit: BAM Weather - Indianapolis
And here's what actually happened:
Credit: WHIO-Dayton Nick Dunn
I am in that pink area just to the SW of Dayton. There apparently were two areas of training thunderstorms and I was "lucky" enough to be under the southern one.
Credit: CoCoRaHS
No comments:
Post a Comment