Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Derecho?

  They're rare but the NWS is now calling what I thought we had a derecho.

Credit: WHIO-Dayton Nick Dunn

 But the official word is that the derecho did not make it to Ohio. I find that hard to believe.

  Here's how it began:

08-11-26 - 9:11 am - Farmersville


Tuesday, 08-11-26: We traveled to Mason and I watched radar while we were there. There was no doubt something major was already in the Dayton area and moving south towards us. Later the radar app I use in my car was showing this:

08-11-26 2:52 pm

 And here's what the view out the windshield looked like:

08-11-26 2:42 pm

08-11-26 2:42 pm

 This looks like a shelf cloud to me and it's the leading edge of the cluster of storms which is mowing SE.



 The rain gauge read 1.52" at 7 am (08-12-26). That brings the month up to 6.71". Normal for August is 3.08".

 Posted on Facebook early this afternoon:

Credit: WHIO-Dayton Nick Dunn

 And here's a look out my back door ...



Still later, the NWS has conformed the derecho for Ohio, too.

Credit: WHIO-Dayton Nick Dunn

Wednesday, 08-12-26:


Looking south out of my bedroom window.  There's just nowhere for all the water to go.

Thursday, 08-13-26:

 7 am reading: 1.89". Storm total: 3.41". August total: 8.60"

 More rain on tap for tonight. This graphic shows the risk ... though the NWS is placing the area of highest rain west and south of here. We have a break today but by tonight the rains will return.

Credit: BAM Weather (Indianapolis, IN)

Friday, 08-14-26:

 Last night was not even remotely as predicted. We had 0.55" bringing the storm total to 3.96" and August to 9.15". I've reviewed other stations and this is correct. In fact my station was higher than most other local stations.

Credit: CoCoRaHS


 That said, we had one hell of storm between 2:30 am and 4 am. I don't think I've ever seen more constant lightning in such a short period of time. The Tempest recorded 3976 strikes between midnight and 8:30 am.


 Parker snuggled against me but wasn't bothered by the storm. I had a hard time sleeping, particularly for that hour, because I was worried about the power going out and the one sump left helpless (I have a second that is battery backed-up). I could  just imagine water rising in the basement.



 Today it looks like more rain, though nothing heavy or severe. We're coming out of the other side of this series of storms. 





No comments:

Post a Comment