Sunday, August 2, 2026

The Deluge

  We needed rain. We didn't need this much nor this quickly.

 This morning I read 3.25". Most of it fell in the evening.

 Here's what Montgomery County stations have reported so far:


 Yesterday morning I read 0.04" and then it rained some early in the day. But by evening all hell broke loose.

08/01/26 - Evening Rainfall

 Note that around 8:30 pm the rain was falling at a rate of 3.5" per hour.

08/01/26 - Evening Lightning Strikes

 The Tempest reported 2254 strikes yesterday.

08/01/26 - Wind Speed

 The only thing that didn't go crazy was the wind. There were a few gusts but nothing of any consequence. Even so, AES reported over 2,000 power outages.

DAYTON, Ohio (WDTN) — As strong storms move through the Miami Valley, 2 NEWS is keeping you updated on the latest power outages.
As of 10:35 p.m. on Saturday, 2,218 AES Ohio customers were in the dark across the region.
Now, as of 8:30 a.m. on Sunday, only 138 households do not have power.

 Here's what my rain gauge looked like when I peered out the back door at the height of the storm ...

08/01/26 - 8:30 pm

 And here's view from my Wx Cam:

08/01/26 - 7:58 pm

 The 3.29" of rain I've received in the first two days of August exceeds the normal for the entire month (3.08"). And we're up 4.18" for the year through July.

 During the storm we had multiple Tornado Warnings. We were instructed  to take shelter immediately. We didn't. Instead I kept a close eye on radar and saw that nothing would directly affect us.



 Watching the nightly news, it seems most storms are of this type: quick deluges. They're coming more and more often. Surely this spells climate change.






No comments:

Post a Comment