Friday, August 28, 2026

Partial Lunar Eclipse

 11:10 pm - 08-27-26

 Last evening we were treated to a partial eclipse of the moon through it came very close to being total at 96.2% coverage. I began watching the Earth's shadow cover the moon at about 10 pm. The shadow slid up from the lower left and had already taken a big bite out of the moon.

Here's another full-frame shot taken within minutes of the first one.


 I found using my cell phone quite difficult (the pictures above were taken with a Canon SX20 IS on a tripod). By using Expert Raw on my phone I got this:

11:17 pm - 08-27-26


  • The timing for the eclipse was this:
  • Penumbral phase begins: 9:23 pm ET
  • Partial eclipse begins: 10:33 pm ET
  • Maximum/Peak phase: 12:12 am ET
  • Partial eclipse ends: 1:51 am ET
  • Penumbral phase ends: 3:01 am ET

 By 11:30 pm there were enough clouds that the eclipse was obscured. I took my tripod and camera down and closed up shop. But I looked out my bedroom window at about midnight and there was just a small spot at the top of the moon which was still lit. I felt lucky that a hole in the clouds allowed me to see this.

I went to bed and awoke hours later and the moon had moved well to the west and was again bright and full.

The next penumbral lunar eclipse visible from here is on February 20, 2027.
The next total lunar eclipse for Dayton isn't until June 26, 2029.





No comments:

Post a Comment