Thursday, August 6, 2026

NBC Blooms Anew

  Some time ago Tom took a start off of mom's Night Blooming Cereus. The "mother" plant last bloomed almost a year ago (click here) but this one has never bloomed. It tried once while it was on the back porch but the bud fell off. Tom suggested we bring the plant back indoors so it has been on the enclosed porch for some months.

 I noticed three buds about a week ago when I made the rounds watering the house plants.


Buds early yesterday (08-05-26) ...



 Last evening about 10 pm all three buds began to unfurl.


 For such an ugly plant, the flowers are equisite, almost otherworldly.



 This third bud had barely begun to open when I went to bed.

 I remember the flowers having a sweet scent on occasion but again this time there was none.

Next day: Tom said when he went to bed he could smell the flowers. And when he woke during the night the scent was still present in the house. I went out and checked them at about 2 pm and they look like deflated balloons. But they do still have a sweet scent!







No comments:

Post a Comment