Monday, November 27, 2017

Final Mow?

 It's November 27, just four days away from December, and I actually had to mow. This was the 27th mow of the season (yes, I keep track). Usually there are a couple of dozen mows so we're not that far removed from a normal year. But I don't think I've ever mowed this late.


 The front yard is thick and green, thanks to ample rain this year and also a lawn service I hired for the first time. We're using Lawn Plus in West Alexandria and I couldn't be happier. They made four applications this year (plus an additional one for grubs) and the lawn has responded quickly. The weeds are all but gone and the grass is thicker than ever. Only one downside: mowing.


 Likewise the south lawn looks better than ever before, I still have a mole or two but, armed with traps, I've taken 16 out of our yard just this year. Yeah, I feel a bit guilty, being a vegetarian and all. But my philosophy is "live and let live" and the moles have made a move to destroy my lawn. So it's been open season for me. I won't touch them in the ample fields and meadows that surround me.


 Finally, the north lawn is thick and green, too. When we first moved in (nearly 31 years ago), this area was virtually devoid of grass. There were patches of grass, to be sure, but you could see the bare soil everywhere. Maybe this area was used for a garden?

 The weather has been wonderful for growing grass, too. Through October we had an excess of over 7" of rainfall. And the temperatures have been warm, too. Today, for instance, we had a high of 60°. Even so, with a cold, frosty morning (28°) the day was only 7° above normal.

 So, one final mow to get the grass an even, manageable height and I think I'm really finished for this season. But I thought that in October.

... and the next day (11/28/17) I mowed the back yard. Done!







No comments:

Post a Comment