Sunday, October 14, 2018

Mounted Rain Gauge

 It'll be 32 years since I moved here and one of the first projects I intended on doing was to mount my rain gauge in concrete. Instead, to buy time, I cheated. I sat it at the edge of the driveway and covered the "feet" of the tripod holder with concrete blocks. And there it was remained all these years.

 On the bright side, it's never blown over. But it sure looked like hell. The three legs had sunk into the gravel and keeping the whole affair level was a challenge.

 So about a week ago I drove over to the hardware store and bought a couple of bags of concrete. I dug a hole (about 9" deep), made a wooden "box" 15" square and carefully poured the concrete. I put plastic wall anchors into the wet concrete.


 Having a level surface for the rain gauge is very important. The readings have to be perfect.


 After several days drying time, I mounted the holder on the concrete pad.


 And then added the rain gauge. After more than three decades it's again properly mounted.





No comments:

Post a Comment