Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Easy Blueberry Muffins

 Fresh blueberries are on sale right now and Tom has been taking advantage of it. Two weekends ago he arrived with two containers. Last Saturday he brought another. I've been topping waffles and French toast with blueberries - not to mention a simple bowl of Cheerios - but I wanted to use up the oldest and also have something different.

 Fresh blueberry muffins fit the bill! And a recipe for Easy Blueberry Muffins on allrecipes.com looked like the perfect recipe.


 They really couldn't be easier. Just seven ingredients.

 Tom likes to watch his intake of salt and this recipe uses none. For myself, I'd prefer salt (though the butter you slather on will likely contain some). How much? I'd guess half a teaspoon but I haven't tested this. Next time, though, I will.

 Also, you're warned that "the secret is in NOT mixing the batter too much". I think that warning is because the blueberries will break up and you'll have a purple batter. I mixed everything but the blueberries into the batter, mixed it very well, and then added the fresh blueberries and just turned them in gently.


 The muffins come out of the oven with the visible blueberries thoroughly cooked and burst open by the heat. It's really a lovely look to the top of each muffin. Why buy blueberry muffin mixes in the store? They surely cost more and the "blueberries" are often artificial and not nearly as good as the real thing.


 I used more than the 1/2 cup of blueberries (more like 3/4 cup) and the muffins are chock full of fruit.


 The only thing you need to add is butter. I ate two while they were warm. Testing is such a necessary part of baking.





No comments:

Post a Comment