Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Coca Cola Cake

 Tom loves the Coca Cola cake at Cracker Barrel so I decided to try and make one for this weekend. The recipe is available at Just a Pinch Recipe Club by clicking here.

 It'd probably be easier - and maybe just as good - to buy a boxed chocolate cake and add Coca Cola as part of the liquid. There's a lot of dishes that come out of this recipe. But it's still warm and I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's worth the extra effort.


 This is my completed cake. It certainly fills an 9 x 13" cake pan to the top. I'd call the frosting a ganache ... it's shiny and soft (but the cake is still warm so it may still set-up).


 The cake batter is equally liquid and it pours into the pan easily. I've had other cakes with batter this liquid so I wasn't particularly worried about it.


 The :"frosting" requires cooking, too, so there's multiple stages to worry about and some pans to wash. Yes, I used the same pan, just rinsing it out between steps. By the way, I used "dark chocolate" cocoa (Hershey's Special Dark) as both Tom and I prefer the darker version.


 The cake is quite beautiful. It rose perfectly. One note: the recipe calls for a baking time of "20 to 25 minutes". I found much of the center of the cake quite undone at that time (it even jiggled when I moved it) so I looked up other similar recipes and found a 40 minute baking time wasn't out of the question. I put it back in for this full amount and then tested with a toothpick. Clean!

 The cake should be iced while still warm. I suspect the icing dribbles down into the cake a bit giving it extra moisture. This is going to be a sticky cake. But that's what's good about some of these chocolate cake recipes. I'll post a picture when it's cut and give you a final opinion.

Later:


 After a night in the refrigerator the frosting was set perfectly and was easily cut. I opted for fifteen pieces because I figured it was going to be rich.


 It's as close to "death by chocolate" as you can get. The ganache seeped slightly into the top layer of the cake because both it and the cake were still warm when it was applied. Perfect!


 The cake is more dense than what a store-bought cake mix makes. So my earlier comment may allow for an easier Coco Cola cake but it won't be the same thing.

 The taste? Wonderful! I poured a cup of hot, black coffee and enjoyed it one forkful as a time. This recipe is a keeper.






1 comment:

  1. I don't know whether it's just me or if perhaps everyone else encountering issues with your
    site. It appears as if some of the written text within your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know
    if this is happening to them too? This may be a issue with my
    web browser because I've had this happen previously.

    Appreciate it

    ReplyDelete