Monday, December 9, 2019

Ball Park Grass Seed

 I'm not a baseball fan. I don't follow any team. But I'm enjoying my little container of Great American Ball Park grass.

 Scotts apparently made samples of the variety grown at the home of the Reds available. It's probably a promotional piece of some sort. Tom found it in a bargain store and picked it up. Trouble is, it was dated 2011.

 "It'll never grow", I told Tom. Grass seed doesn't last that long. In fact on the Scotts website they say grass seed remains viable for "two to three years". There's no knowing how this kit was stored. And it's eight years old. "Give it a chance," Tom said.

 11-07-19:  Just planted and watered.

11-18-19:  Hey, there's one seed that's sprouted! 

11-20-19: There's a handful of seeds growing now. 

11-24-19:  It's not exactly a carpet but it's improving steadily. 

12-09-19:  Just over a month of growth and I'd call it a successful crop. 



 Germination of grass seed can be anywhere from 5 to 30 days depending on the variety, moisture available and temperature. Having eight year old seed sprout in eleven days is pretty remarkable; it should have died years ago,

 If I can get it to last till spring I'll move it to a bare spout in the yard. In the meantime I'll "mow" it regularly with scissors.

Later ...

 First "mowing"!

01-07-20





No comments:

Post a Comment