Saturday, July 18, 2020

Mom's Zucchini Bread

 Well, not my Mom's zucchini bread because she wasn't fond of quick breads. But I've always loved sweet breads and today I was given a reason to make one.

 I walked out to the garden this morning and saw that a particularly large zucchini had inflated overnight. I try to pick them when they're smaller. Once they get to boat anchor size they're not worth much. I brought it in and showed it to Tom and asked if he'd like me to cook it for lunch.

 We've had cooked zucchini twice this week so I got a thumb's down on that suggestion. "How about zucchini bread?" he asked. Fine by me, especially when he offered to shred whatever amount of zucchini I'd need.


I used the recipe at Allrecipes. Click here to see it.


 I mixed all of the dry ingredients first (I was waiting for Tom to shred the zucchini).


 I suppose it'd be better to mix the eggs, oil and vanilla together and then add them into the dry ingredients. But I didn't. As long as everything is mixed well, it doesn't matter. The resultant batter shouldn't have any dry flour unmixed. Just keep stirring a bit and it'll all come together.

 Leave the skin on the zucchini, by the way. The green flecks are what adds a touch of authenticity.


 We didn't squeeze the water from the shredded zucchini (the recipe doesn't call for this step). Obviously, zucchini can have various amounts of moisture and that must be accounted for in the baking time. I considered the batter "wet" and figured it'd need the full hour of baking. I assume that's why the suggested baking time stretches from 40 minutes to an hour.


 I tested at the 50 minute mark and all seemed done. But the tops still had a bit of a shine so I opted to leave them in the oven for another five minutes. I'd call 55 minutes perfect.

 This is as easy a recipe as you'll find. With the amount of cinnamon ( a full tablespoon) and another of vanilla (they call it three teaspoons; same thing), the bread is decided spicy. But that's just what you want. Cut it with a cup of black coffee and dessert is served.







No comments:

Post a Comment