Thursday, December 9, 2021

Planets Line Up

  It's not technically a conjunction but it's still an impressive alignment of three of the major plants: Jupiter, Saturn and Venus. And they're being joined by the Moon.

 Here's the view Stellarium predicted for 1800:


 And here's what I saw at that hour:



I went out about half an hour later and took another look after it had grown a bit darker. This was the view then:



 And finally I had my Pixel phone use the Night Sight (Astrophotography) mode to get this shot:


 Jupiter is first in line (left) above the Moon.  Next is Saturn. And finally Venus is at the lower right.

 I then went back in the house and affixed my cameras (Canon PowerShot SX20 IS) to the tripod I was using and took a few shots of the moon:


 And here's a close-up:


 The Moon  is in the "waxing crescent" phase. About 30% of the disk is lit. It's just two days shy of the First Quarter.




No comments:

Post a Comment